Thames Year 2
Happy New Year 2018!
We really hope you have had a fantastic Christmas Break and are looking forward to the new and exciting things that the Spring Term will bring?!
Our new Topic for the Spring Term is called ‘Adventures and Discoveries.’ We will be working in a much more Cross-Curricular manner, with many subjects linking together.
- Shiver me timbers! Beginning our topic this term we will be having a ‘Pirate Day!’ where children can dress up and enjoy being pirates for the day!
- In Literacy we will be focusing on lots of genres, including writing an amazing pirate adventure story, letter writing from a desert island, newspaper reports on new discoveries and non-chronological reports on numerous explorers. Wow! Lots to be excited about! St
- In our reading skills sessions, our focus will be on retrieval of information, inference, predictions, sequencing stories and understanding the use of vocabulary. We will continue to use animations, books and pictures as sources to help us practice our reading skills.
- Book bags –The importance of reading at home should not be underestimated. Please encourage your child to sit down and read their school reading book with you. Also please make sure they bring their book bag to school daily. Reading books will be changed at least once a week as long as someone from home has read with your child and written a brief comment in their reading diary.
- In Maths this term we will become more confident with 2 digit numbers. We will be working hard on our times tables and using the four operations (+, -, x and ÷) specifically multiplication and division. We will improve our problem solving skills and mental arithmetic. We will also be looking at position, direction and movement vocabulary
- The second half term as Scientists ‘Sam Safari’ will be coming in to help us look at animals and their habitats and help us understand how we look after them. We will also be looking at food chains and how some animals adapt to their environments. We will also be carrying out investigations and experiments.
- During Humanities this term in our Geography sessions we will be looking at the World and where people have explored and what they have found there. We will name some Countries, Continents and Oceans of the World and use maps and plans to help us. As part of our History sessions we will be finding out about some of the famous Explorers that there have been, the discoveries they have made and legacy they have left us with.
- During Computing sessions this term children will develop their photography skills and using IPADs to edit and improve the images they take. We will also carry out a bug hunt and use the computers to draw tables and graphs to illustrate our findings.
- In our RE/PSHE sessions this term will focus on Judaism and the celebration of Passover and Christianity looking at the Easter story.
- In PE this term, the focus will be on football and gymnastics. Our PE lessons are on Wednesdays. Please ensure your child always has their PE kit in school as often we have extra PE activities or events for the children to take part in. Please provide your child with an outdoor PE kit (leggings/tracksuit bottoms and a jumper), including appropriate footwear.
- Please note: If your child has pierced ears you will need to provide plasters to cover them during PE. If earrings are not covered or taken out, I’m afraid your child will not be allowed to do PE. Thank you for your help with this.
Thank you for your support with your child’s learning.
If you have any queries or concerns please feel free to come and see us!
Mrs Hogg (Class Teacher)
Mrs Wadley (Class Teacher)
Miss Blinova (Teaching Assistant)