Yn Wheeler, we are keen to encourage the children to be as fit and healthy as possible. P.E. lessons are an important part this and we strive to ensure children develop a wide range of skills whilst having fun exercising. Our aims, in line with the new national curriculum are for children to
- develop their skills in a broad range of physical activities
- be physically active for sustained periods of time
- engage in competitive sports and activities
- lead healthy, active lives.
Over the course of their time at Wheeler, your child will have the opportunity to play a variety of games, including tennis, rounders and football. They will also develop their balance and coordination through gymnastics and dance. Plant ym Mlwyddyn 4 will begin formal swimming lessons in the summer term and children in Year 5 a 6 will have the opportunity to develop their cycling skills through the Bikeability scheme.
Each class will have two hours of P.E per week. Please refer to the class websites for details of the days your child’s class does P.E.
In addition to timetabled P.E lessons, your child will have the opportunity to engage in competitive sport, either against other classes in the school, or other schools in the area in competitions and tournaments. They will also have the opportunity to develop their fitness and skill level through a variety of after school clubs.
If you have any questions about P.E provision or would like to know about local clubs and activities that may be available to your child, please contact Miss Thompson.
Addysg Gorfforol & Sports Premium
The P.E. and Sport Premium is designed to help primary schools improve the quality of the P.E. and sport activities they offer their pupils.
Since 2013 the government has invested over £600 million on this funding.
This funding is ring-fenced and therefore can only be spent on provision of P.E. and sport in schools.
The funding is calculated as follows:
Schools with 16 or fewer eligible pupils receive £1000 per pupil.
Schools with 17 or more eligible pupils receive £16,000 and an additional payment of £10 per pupil.
How we use the P.E. and sport premium.
Schools must use the funding to make additional and sustainable improvements to the quality of PE and sport they offer.
This means that you should use the premium to:
Develop or add to the P.E. and sport activities that your school already offers.
Make improvements now that will benefit pupils joining the school in future years.
- Hire qualified sports coaches to work with teachers
- Provide existing staff with training or resources to help them teach P.E. and sport more effectively
- Introduce new sports or activities and encourage more pupils to take up sport
- Support and involve the least active children by running or extending school sports clubs, holiday clubs and Change4Life clubs
- Run sport competitions
- Increase pupils’ participation in the School Games
- Run sports activities with other schools
[toggle title=”Sport Premium 2017 – 2018“] Sport Premium 2017 – 2018 – Click here to view our policy, this will open a new window [/toggle]